One summer evening in 1912 it looked as if all of Highland Station might go up in smoke! As the Milford Times reported:
"Saturday evening, June 1 about 6:30 when Keller and Waterbury's store was being lighted up, a gasoline lamp was discovered by Mr. Keller to be blazing up and not working right. Mr. Keller went to it at once, took it down and went backwards with it to avoid the flame. The door in the store room came in contact with the lamp and knocked it out of his hand. It immediately flashed up and filled the store with smoke and flames and it was evident at once that no power at hand could save the store..."
The photo below, looking west along Livingston Road from the depot and elevator, shows the entire Keller and Waterbury store ablaze.